The small area of Homebush, north of the railway line, remained unincorporated as an area of local government until 1906. In 1899, the North Homebush Progress Association was established to lobby for improvements to Homebush, particularly the condition of Powell’s Creek and later petitioning for establishment of local government.
The petitioning was successful and on 6 June 1906, Homebush Municipal Council was incorporated by proclamation of the NSW Governor. At the time of the incorporation, the area measured 600 acres with 6 and half miles of streets with a population of 548 people, 90 houses and 170 ratepayers. Homebush Council operated until May 1947, when was merged with Strathfield Council.
The boundary of the new Council was described as:
County of Cumberland, parishes of Concord and Liberty Plains; area about one mile commencing on the centire of the railway line from Parramatta to Sydney at a south-eastern corner of the Municipality of Rookwood; and bounded thence by the part of the eastern boundary of that municipality and its continuation generally north-easterly to the south-western boundary of the Municipality of Concord; thence by that boundary and the south-western boundary of the annexation to the latter municipality generally south-easterly to the western boundary of Burwood Municipality; thence by that boundary southerly to the northern boundary of the Municipality of Strathfield; thence by that boundary and the northern boundary of the annexation of that municipality generally westerly, to the point of commencement.
A meeting was called by the North Homebush Progress Association under instructions from the Chief Secretary of State to appoint a presiding officer and returning officer and to fix the date of the first election. The date of the election was fixed as 18 August 1906. The first Aldermen elected included, Harry Kite, Thomas Dalton, George Knight, Charles Hughes, James Slattery and Herbert Wilkins.
The first meeting of Homebush Council was held in Mrs Wrights’ building Parramatta Road Homebush on Friday 31st August 1906 to elect the Mayor. The first Mayor was Alderman Harry Kite.
The first full meeting of Homebush Council was held on Monday September 10 1906. The first council included the Mayor Alderman H N Kite and Aldermen Dalton, Knight, Hughes, Slattery and Wilkins.
From 1906 to 1909, the Council rented a portion of the School of the Arts including use of a hall for public meetings.
Parts of Homebush Municipality are built on the large Underwood Estate. By the time subdivision of streets commenced, markers were already established such as Parramatta Road and the Railway Line, which determined how land was subdivided. The Homebush Bay wetlands and Powell’s Creek also provided a constraint as substantial amounts of land were unusable for building, though much of the wetlands was filled and reclaimed as tips, later parks.
Homebush Council contained considerable land dedicated to commercial and industrial use, namely the Sydney Stock and Cattle Yards [now Sydney Markets], established 1909. Tipping sites were established, where Bressington Park now stands. Other significant industrial sites included Former EMI Records [Parramatta Road and Columbia Lane].
Homebush Council adopted a Residential Proclamation in 1927.
The building of the M4 motorway involved relocation of streets in Homebush and some streets became dead-ends such as Short Street. The establishment of Sydney Markets in 1975 also involved relocation and abolishment of some streets in Homebush. Building of Homebush Bay Drive has also altered street alignments such as Malborough Rd and Austin Avenue.