By Cathy Jones
A tram service once operated from Enfield to Mortlake/Cabarita via Burwood.
The Enfield Tramway system was first established in 1891, between Ashfield and Enfield. Originally steam operated and single tracked, eight years later, a short extension to provide direct access to Ashfield Station was added. The major part of the route was opened in 1901 and extended the original line from Enfield through Burwood and Concord to Mortlake on the banks of the Parramatta River. A branch line to Cabarita completed this system in 1907.
The tram ran down Coronation Parade, from Liverpool Rd to the depot terminus in Tangarra St, through Coronation Reserve. The tramway was electrified in 1912 and a double track added in 1915. Competition from local buses forced the closure of the tram service in 1948, though the tracks were not removed until 1951. The old tramway was located on the eastern side of the Reserve and the small brick hut near Dean St was built adjacent to the tram stop as a waiting room. After the tracks were removed, Coronation Reserve was substantially altered in layout and the former tramway incorporated into the Reserve.
The Enfield terminus was located in Tangarra Street Enfield, which was later used as a bus depot. It is now residential housing.
Kennan, David ‘The Rockdale & Enfield Lines of the Sydney Tramway System’, 1994
 Enfield Municipal Council Annual Report 1936