This street was named after the home ‘Tiptree’ which was demolished in 1954 and the land sub-divided in 1957 to create this cul-de-sac . ‘Tiptree’ was built in c.1906 by the Rev. C T Newman and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Hon. Ebenezer Vickery MLC and sister of Joseph Vickery of ‘Strathfield’. Elizabeth Vickery was born at sea not far from the Canary Islands on the SS ‘Tiptree’ in 1860, which is the source of the name of the home she and her husband built . After Mrs Newman’s death, ‘Tiptree’ was sold to the Red Cross and operated during World War II as the Eva Hordern Red Cross Home.