By Cathy Jones
‘Wavertree’ is built on the 1880 subdivision of the Woodgreen Estate and is one of Strathfield’s earliest residential developments.
‘Wavertree’ was built c.1885. This house initially operated as a ladies school by Mrs W. Hardie. ‘Wavertree’ was later the home of Mrs Helen Jones, widow of Edward Lloyd Jones, Chairman of David Jones & Co. A later owner was Frank Whitehouse, a lecturer at University of Sydney.
This house operated as a nursing home called ‘Wavertree’ until 1993. During the period of use as a nursing home, this house was significantly altered. It has since been converted back to a private residence, but with more alterations including rendering of the brickwork.
Department of Valuer-General, Valuation Lists, Municipality of Strathfield
Fox & Associates, Strathfield Heritage Study, 1986
Sands Sydney and Suburban Directory
Strathfield Council Valuation Lists