By Cathy Jones
Strathfield Avenue is located where the house ‘Strathfield’ once stood. The home was built in 1868 for Walter Renny, painter and decorator and Mayor of Sydney [1869-70]. ‘Strathfieldsaye’ was a two-storey brick residence with a lodge, stables and other outbuildings and was set back about 600 ft from The Boulevarde. Ownership of the property was transferred several times including to Davidson Nichol, who shortened the name to ‘Strathfield House’, then ‘Strathfield’. After Nichol’s death in 1880, the property was sub-divided with ‘Strathfield’ preserving over 3 acres and located at the end of the newly created Strathfield Avenue cul-de-sac. By the 1930’s, the grounds of the house were further reduced and the land was subdivided with the remainder of land used to extend Strathfield Avenue through to Nichol Parade and its dedication as a public road in 1935. The house was demolished for residential sub-division.
In 1885, the Municipal District took the name ‘Strathfield’ rather than ‘Redmyre’ [the original name of the suburb] when Strathfield Municipal Council was incorporated. In 1886, the Council requested that the NSW Government change the name of the suburb [postal district] and railway station from Redmyre to Strathfield.
Walter Renny, Lord Mayor of Sydney [1869-1870], built ‘Strathfieldsaye’ in 1868. John Hardy, of Hardy Bros Jewellers, lived at ‘Strathfield’ from 1881-1907 and John Maclean Arnott, managing director of Arnott’s Biscuits, lived at ‘Strathfield’ from 1903-1906.
Joseph Vickery, son of Hon. Ebenezer Vickery MLC and a prominent businessman, lived at ‘Strathfield’ from 1907 until his death in 1930.
‘Lynton’ was built by Walter Sewell Buzacott, proprietor of a ships chandlery business on the corner of The Boulevarde and Strathfield Avenue in 1883. Peter Mathieson, successful city businessman and property owner, lived at ‘Glen Ayr’ [formerly ‘Lynton’] from 1906 to his death in 1953. The property was sold to John Olley Sherwood, a prominent tennis player of the 1920’s who subdivided the land into six lots and sold in 1953.