By Cathy Jones
‘Del Norte’ was built in 1913 for its owner Alexander Hood on the corner of Rochester Street and Coventry Road, Strathfield. The house is built on the ‘Village of Homebush’ Estate, a 1878 subdivision of the Underwood Estate. The house was named ‘Strach-ur’, a reference to Hood’s place of birth in Scotland.
An application by Hood to build a brick cottage of 6 rooms+ was approved in July 1913. The estimated value of the works was £650. Hood was a water contractor and amongst his works was the installation of the Junee water supply, and the laying of the mains for the Mayfield portion of the Newcastle sewerage service. He enlisted to serve in WWI and as Sgt. Alex. Hood, of the Engineers, he was killed in action on October 31 1916 aged 44 years. Hood left behind a wife, Edith and eight children.
The house was sold c.1920 to George Joseph Fuge (1892-1953). Fuge, a clerk, renamed the house ‘Del Norte’. Ownership transferred to Daniel Briell and his wife Hilda in the mid 1940s.
The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers’ Advocate, 15 December 1917, p. 10. https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/86092031
Department of Valuer-General, Valuation Lists, Municipality of Strathfield
Fox & Associates, Strathfield Heritage Study, 1986
‘Killed in Action’, 1917 (November 17), Maitland Daily Mercury (NSW : 1894 – 1939), page 4
Sands and Suburban Directory 1915-1932
Strathfield Council Building Register
Strathfield Council Valuation Lists