By Cathy Jones
‘Heaton Lodge’ was built c.1893 for woolbroker, William H Hill. The house was originally set on land measuring 130 feet in frontage, which has reduced due to subdivision. There are a number of prominent persons associated with this house. From c.1905 to 1912, Alexander Faulkner Waters of W T Waters & Co was owner of this house. Waters was the son of William Thomas Waters, who established W T Waters & Co at the corner of King and George Streets Sydney. Waters was one of Sydney’s most fashionable retailers, stocking manchester, drapery and expert dressmakers. The firm was sold by Alexander Waters in 1925 to retailers McDowells.
The next owner was Reginald Mack Gowing, one of the founders and director of Gowing Bros, also a prominent City retailer. Gowing was the son of John Ellis Gowing, founder of Gowing Bros store In 1907, John Ellis Gowing set up an indenture between sons Preston and Reginald and grandson Robert, to continue the business in partnership after his death. During his residency in Strathfield, Gowing served as a uniform supply clerk in the AIF during WWI. Gowing’s name appears on War Memorial Roll at Strathfield Council. By 1920, Reginald Gowing became a permanent director of Gowings. Gowing died in 1948.
In December 1928, the house was sold by Lucy Figtree to Dr Roy Vesney Graham, medical practitioner, Macquarie Street Sydney for £2500. Graham’s Who’s Who in Australia entry states:
Dr Graham MD, MB, Sydney Ch.M, FRACS, OIC, Orthopeadic Division 103 Australia General Hospital since June 1942; surgeon 1st Australian General Hospital AIF, Jan 1940-42, RMO Sydney Hospital 1913-14; Hon. Assistant to Department of Orthopaedics and Special Therapeutics since 1923; Associate Hon. Orthopaedic Surgeon Lewisham Hospital and NSW Masonic Hospital; Member BMA; Chairman Western Suburbs Medical Association; despatches June 1941, December 1941; m.Dec 19 1914, Mary Mackinnon, d..E J Higgs, 3 sons, 2 daughters; Clubs: Australian, Royal Sydney Golf; address: 103 Australian General Hospital A.A.M.C and 42 Redmyre Road, Strathfield NSW.
Dr Graham sold the house to Alan Clayton, a contractor, for £2700 in March 1945. Clayton sold the house to Charles Kellett, retired, in Mary 1947 for £3150. In May 1951, the house was sold to John Henry Edwards, medical practitioner for £10,000. In 1952, land on the eastern boundary which appears to have been used as a tennis court was subdivided and sold. In May 1955, Edwards sold the house to Dorothy Stanton for £7250.
In November 1959, the estate of late Dorothy Stanton sold the house to Hendrich and Helen Hulsebosch for £7750.
In September 1960, Mr & Mrs Hulsebosch sold the house to Mrs Mavis Mitchell for £8400.
Gowing, Stephanie (1993), Gone to Gowings.
Sands Directory for Sydney and Suburbs 1900-1932
Strathfield Council Building Application Register
Strathfield Council Valuation Lists 1894 to 1960
Strathfield Council Notices of Land Transfer (1927-1960s)
Pollon, Frances, Shops and Shopkeeper, 1989
Wise’s Post Office Directory 1908, 1936
‘Roy Graham’, Who’s Who in Australia, 1944
“Fall from Parapet”, The West Australian, 1 Mar 1948: 8.