By Cathy Jones
“Sutherwold” 25 Newton Road was built on lot 38 of the Josephson Estate No.1. The Josephson’s Estate commenced subdividing in 1916, however residential development occurred gradually and different sections of this estate developed over time, therefore within this subdivision there is a large variety of building styles.
The owner of Lot 38 Ernest R Davis lodged an application to build a dwelling with Strathfield Council in 1926. The Council approved the building of a brick house with estimated value of £1350 of at least 6 rooms. The property dimensions were 68 foot frontage and 281 foot depth. The identified builder in the Council building register is the owner. Davis was employed as an inspector of the Child Welfare Department.
This house was owned by the Davis family until 1970. In 1970, the owner Audrey Zedora Davis transferred land (part Lot 38) measuring 12’ x 231’ to Mr Brian V. C. Seton and Mrs Esma Seton, owners of 23 Newton Road Strathfield. 25 Newton Road was reduced in size from 68’ x 231’6 to 56’ x 231’6. Another plan of subdivision was approved in 1970 when 55 feet at the rear of 25 Newton Road was transferred to 4 South Street. This reduced the lot to 56’ x 176’6.
Department of Valuer General, Valuation Lists, Municipality of Strathfield
Sands Sydney and Suburban Directory – Strathfield Municipality
Strathfield Council Building Register
Strathfield Council meeting minutes 1970
Valuer-General, Notice of Land Transfers
Wise’s Post Office Directory