By Cathy Jones
‘Lumeah’ is built on the Hydebrae Estate was a subdivision of the grounds of the home ‘Hydebrae’ in 1922, home of Francis Hyde Potts (1839-1936). Potts was the son of Joseph Hyde Potts, owner of the original 1841 land grant on which this house was built.
After the death of Francis Hyde Potts in 1926, members of the Potts family instructed surveyors Chatfield & Brown to subdivide the grounds of the Hydebrae estate. The subdivision created 67 lots fronting Hydebrae Street, Merley Rd and Elsie Street (later Shortland Avenue) and was marketed as the ‘Hydebrae Estate’.
An application was lodged with Strathfield Council to build a brick house of more than six rooms at an estimated cost of £1000 in September 1922. The applicant was the owner F M Lloyd, who appears to be the builder. Shortly after completion of the house, the property was transferred to Archibald Moffat (1850-1934), a grazier. Following Moffat’s death in 1934, the house was occupied by his widow Jessie (nee Cameron) (1954-1950) until it was transferred by transmission to their daughter Minnie Buck (1888-1966), wife of John Allan Buck. The house remained in the ownership of Buck until her death in 1966.
Department of Valuer-General, Valuation Lists, Municipality of Strathfield 1939, 1960
Fox & Associates, Strathfield Heritage Study, 1986
Sands Sydney and Suburban Directory 1889-1932
Strathfield Council Building Registers