by Cathy Jones
15 Merley Road Strathfield is built on the Inveresk Estate. This estate was a subdivision of the grounds of merchant George Begg Vickery’s home ‘Inveresk’ Coventry Road Strathfield. After Vickery’s death in 1938, his son Ottamar Vickery subdivided his father’s estate creating an eastern extension of the street Merley Road and the park ‘Inveresk Park’. By 1941, all lots had been sold and building had commenced on most lots. A covenant was placed on the whole of the subdivision requiring a minimum cost of £1200 for any individual house. The houses could only be built of brick and/or stone with slate or tile roofs and the minimum setback was established at 12 metres from the footpath.
By 1941, all lots had been sold and building had commenced on all lots except Lots 17 & 18 [13 & 15 Merley Rd] which were purchased by Mrs Nellie Hendy. Despite other lots on this subdivision being built, the site remained vacant until 1950. Builder John Gilbert Taylor of Florence Street Strathfield purchased this lot for £1250 and gained Council approval in July 1950 to construct a brick dwelling of seven rooms, garage and offices at estimated cost of £4500. Taylor remained the owner until 1955 when the house was sold to Selwyn Freelander, a dental surgeon for £14,250.
Department of Valuer-General, Valuation Lists, Municipality of Strathfield 1942, 1947, 1960
Fox & Associates, Strathfield Heritage Study, 1986
Strathfield Council Building Register
Strathfield Council minutes
Land Title searches