‘Linleigh’ 22 Meredith St Homebush

By Cathy Jones

22 Meredith Street was built in c.1889-1890.  The land occupied by the houses located at 16 to 24 Meredith Street Homebush was owned in 1889 by John Waugh, a local builder.  Waugh is likely to have built and developed the houses with the intention to on-sell or rent the properties. Waugh did not reside in any of these residences and all were leased for short periods, before being sold.  

By c.1893, this house was owned by Charles Hursthouse Stanger, who named the house ‘’Wisbech’ after his birthplace Wisbech, Cambridgshire, England. Stanger, the Locomotive Superintendent of NSW Railways, was listed as the occupant until 1906.  The house was then owned by William Morris, an accountant and his wife. In 1922, the house was acquired by Elizabeth Stewart and her husband Malcolm Stewart.  Malcolm Stewart served with the AIF and later Royal Flying Corps during WWI.  He was an marine engineer and later worked as an engineer at Homebush Abattoirs.  He and his wife Elizabeth moved to Austinmer c.1942 where he worked with Returned Soldiers League (RSL) in granting pensions for ex-servicemen.  During this period, the house was likely rented.  Malcolm Stewart died in 1950 and in the same year, Elizabeth Stewart sold the house to Hilda Corney for £2700

In 1961, an application for subdivision of the rear of 22 Meredith St was approved. The land at the rear of 22 Meredith Street was sold together with the rear of 24 Meredith Street to create a lot with street frontage to Broughton Road.  The vacant land was was sold for £1250 by Hilda Corney to Gordon and Wilfred Makin, radio engineers.  

In 1968, Hilda Corney sold 22 Meredith Street to Judith Harris for $18,700.  In more recent times, the house was renamed ‘Linleigh’.  

References

Department of the Valuer General NSW – Valuation List – Valuation District of Strathfield

Fox & Associates, Strathfield Heritage Study, 1986

‘Late Mr C H Stanger’, 1931, Sydney Morning Herald, 30 May, p. 17, viewed 05 May 2020, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article16782038

‘Obituary Mr. Malcolm Stewart’, 1950, Illawarra Daily Mercury, 27 January, p2

Society of Australian Genealogists, Rookwood Cemetery Transcriptions, 2003

Sands Sydney Directory, published by John Sands [1889-1932]

Strathfield Council Building Registers

Strathfield Council Valuation Lists 1888, 1889, 1890, 1894, 1896, 1903, 1904, 1905, 1907, 1914, 1917, 1939, 1960

Wise’s Post Office Directory 1904, 1908 & 1936