In 1936, the grounds of the Victorian mansion ‘Howglen’ were subdivided creating residential lots facing Meredith St, Coventry Rd and Mackenzie Streets. Lots 7 to 12 of the Howglen Estate are located 37 to 45 Meredith Street. Between 1936 and 1938; the lots were sold and buildings were erected on these sites. Each dwelling was separately owned with different builders. The house ‘Howglen’ was eventually demolished and the cul-de-sac Boyce Avenue was built on this site.
41 Meredith Street, a brick cottage of six rooms, was built in 1937 for its owner Mabel Adelaide Bisset (1883-1961). The architect was John Brogan. The State Library of NSW architectural collection includes the John Brogan collection of Buildings in Australia and South-East Asia (1926-1966). The index notes that this collection includes plans for a ‘residence for Miss Bissett, Homebush, 1936’ and builder was Armstrong Swanson of Petersham at cost £1230. Miss Bissett continued to own the house until c. 1960, when ownership transferred to John White.
Department of the Valuer General NSW – Valuation List – Valuation District of Strathfield
Fox & Associates, Strathfield Heritage Study, 1986
‘Howglen’ Subdivision Poster dated 1936
State Library of NSW, John Brogan architectural collection of Buildings in Australia and South-East Asia, from 1926-1966. Index Number: PXD 525/1-477.
Strathfield Council Building Register