By Cathy Jones
‘Swanwick’ 160 Homebush Road Strathfield is built on the Thompson Park Estate, a subdivision of the larger 1867 Redmire Estate.
On March 31 1914, approval was granted to John Barry Gow by Strathfield Council to erect a brick house. During ownership by the Gow family, the house was named ‘Lorilda’.
By 1920, ownership transferred to Robert Shelton, who named the house ‘Swanwick’. Shelton lived at ‘Swanwick’ until his death at age 73 years in 1933. Shelton was a civil servant who was employed for over forty years at the NSW Lands Department. Shelton started as a junior draftsman and was ssubsequently stationed at Bourke, Dubbo, Tamworth, Goulburn, and again Sydney He was afterwards appointed chairman of the local land boards for the land district of Forbes, and remained in Forbes until 1920, when he was appointed one of the three members of the first Licences Reduction Board. Upon this appointment in 1920, he moved to Strathfield.
Following Shelton’s death, ownership of ‘Swanwick’ transferred to Henry Markwell Ling (1875-1944). A later owner in the 1960s was Mrs Margaret Vogan.
Swanswick is described as :
A single storey, brick, Federation house that is screened from the street by mature plantings. A return verandah has square timber posts, timber brackets and features a circular window and dichromatic brickwork. The slate hip roof has terra cotta capping, cresting and finials and rendered chimneys. Leadlight casement timber windows are typical details from this period found in this house. Built early this century this well maintained Federation house is of local significance from its architectural qualities.
Fox & Associates, Heritage Inventory Sheet No. 211, Strathfield Heritage Study, 1986
Mr Robert Shelton. (1933, February 7). The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 – 1954), p. 6. Retrieved April 7, 2012, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article16950962
Sands Sydney & Suburban Directory – Strathfield Municipality
Strathfield Council Minutes 31 March 1914.
Strathfield Council Valuation Lists
Wise’s Post Office Directory of Strathfield, Enfield and Homebush 1904, 1908 and 1936.
(c) Cathy Jones 2019