by Cathy Jones
‘Carminya’ 25 Homebush Road Strathfield is situated on the original Thomas Rose grant of 1793. This land was acquired by the Camden Congregational College, who intended to build a theological college at Strathfield. With the onset of the 1890’s economic depression, this plan became unviable and the College Trustees opted to subdivide the land and offer it for residential sale in 1898. This subdivision includes land in Albert Rd [65-103 Albert Rd], Homebush Rd [25-39 Homebush Rd] and Beresford Rd.
‘Carminya’ was designed by architects Slatyer & Cosh as the private residence of architect Charles Slatyer in 1899. This house is featured as ‘A residence at Strathfield NSW’, Building Engineering and Mining Journal, December 2 1899:
‘The illustration this week is that of a residence recently completed at Strathfield, which occupies a picked site at the corner of Homebush and Beresford Roads. Enfield OK facing bricks have been used for external walls, which are built hollow and Goodlet and Smith’s tiles are used for the roof. The house was erected for Mr Slatyer. Messrs Slatyer and Cosh were the architects and Mr T E Quiggin, the contractor. All the sanitary plumbing and drainage has been executed in accordance with the Water and Sewerage Board’s requirements’.
Charles Henry Slatyer [1856-1919] was a prominent Sydney architect. Slatyer worked as a partner in the architectural firms Ellis & Slatyer [with John Ellis], Slatyer & Cosh [with Thomas Cosh] and Slatyer & Shiels [with Nico Sheils]. Slatyer was a Fellow of the Institute of Architects [NSW Branch] and in 1919 was elected as the Institute’s President. Slatyer designed many residential homes in Strathfield, particularly for members of the Todman family.
Slatyer died in 1919 and his widow, Elsie, daughter of prominent tobacco merchant George Todman, continued to live at ‘Carminya’ for many years. The next owner of ‘Carminya’ was Dr Kevin Fagan, who resided at ‘Carminya’ from the early 1940’s to at least the 1960’s.
‘A residence at Strathfield NSW’, Building Engineering and Mining Journal, December 2 1899
Fox & Associates, Strathfield Heritage Study, 1986.
Jones, C ‘Five Federation Houses’, Strathfield District Historical Society Newsletter, June & July 2003
Sands Sydney and Suburban Directory