Homebush Road runs in north/south direction from Homebush to Strathfield South. Homebush Road first appears in the subdivision of the Redmire Estate in 1867. Homebush was the name of the estate of D’Arcy Wentworth [1762? -1827], an early land owner, who named his estate after his ‘home in the bush’; although Homebush is also a place in Kent.
Homebush Rd has been extended over time. The section between Albert Rd and The Crescent was once known as Bellevue Street and the section between Hume Highway and Dean St once known as Jersey Street.
‘Merriwa’ 55 Homebush Road Strathfield
‘Ravenswood’ 61 Homebush Road Strathfield
‘Eloura’ 75 Homebush Road Strathfield
‘Mornington’ 77 Homebush Road Strathfield
‘Lyndon’ 82 Homebush Road Strathfield
‘Halcyon’ 110 Homebush Road Strathfield
‘Brockby Lodge’ 127 Homebush Road Strathfield
‘Thaddeus’ 138 Homebush Road Strathfield
‘Kiameron’ 151 Homebush Road Strathfield
Ottamar Vickery. Mine owner and one time chairman of the Australian Gas Light Company lived at 142 Homebush Rd Strathfield. Vickery was the grandson of the Hon. Ebenezer Vickery MLC and son of George Begg Vickery of ‘Inveresk’, Coventry Road Strathfield.
Harold Arnott, biscuit manufacturer, lived and built ‘Brockby Lodge’ at 127 Homebush Rd cnr of Homebush and Victoria Street Strathfield.
John Booth Jones, a prominent solicitor and early Strathfield landowner, built ‘Hatherley’ c.1884, later the residence of Colonel John Maclean Arnott, managing director of Arnott’s Biscuits, who changed the name of the house to ‘Birnam Wood’. The house was demolished c.1927 and sub-divided creating the street Birnam Grove.
Professor James Douglas Stewart [1869-1955] was the Dean of the Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Sydney from 1910 to 1939. Professor Stewart lived at ‘Berelle’, now ‘Quisiana’, Homebush Rd from 1914-1951. ‘Quisiana’ is a prominent historic home of Homebush Rd and was built c.1893.
William Affleck MLA, retired storekeeper from Gundaroo and Member for Yass Plains, built ‘Gundaroo’ in 1899. Affleck also built the adjoining ‘Weymss’ cottage in 1896 at 89 Homebush Rd and later built ‘Caledonia’ at 91 Homebush Rd.
Frederick J. Wallis, Mayor of Strathfield [1923-24], lived at ‘Merriwa’ on the corner of Oxford Rd. Wallis was also a wheat broker, investor, art collector and member of the board of Meriden school.
‘Terry Hi Hi’, 45 Homebush Road, was owned by the Powell family direct descendents of Edward Powell, one of Sydney’s first free settlers who arrived her on 15th January 1793.
William Hoskins MLC built ‘Dagworth’ 39 Homebush Rd in 1900. It was later occupied by Dr George Mander Jones, grandson of retailer David Jones and Ernest Laurence, solicitor and Mayor of Strathfield [1917-18].
William Arnott, founder of Arnott’s Biscuits, lived at ‘Waratah’ 37 Homebush Rd from c.1900-1901. The home was later owned by his daughter, Janet Arnott Perry until c.1918. This was later the home of solicitor Alfred Morgan and Frederick Lindeman of Lindeman Wines family. Sisters Margaret and Kathleen Thompson established the ‘Branxton’ school in this home, which eventually merged with PLC school and moved to Margaret Street. Presbyterian Ladies College operated their infants school at ‘Branxton’ in Margaret Street until 1997, when ‘Branxton’ became part of Meriden and was renamed ‘Lingwood’.
‘Huntingtower’, 33 Homebush Road Strathfield, was built for William Fehon, Commissioner of NSW Railways
‘Nangur’, 27-29 Homebush Road, was built in 1901 for Mrs Emily Mander-Jones, the widow of David Mander Jones, son of David Jones. Alfred Rofe, a prominent solicitor was a later owner of ‘Nangur’.
‘Carminya’ 25 Homebush Rd was designed and built by prominent architect Charles H. Slatyer as his home residence.
‘Verani’, 24 Homebush Rd, was built by property agent David Hazelwood [property agent] in 1888.
Percy Coleman MHR lived at 7 Homebush Rd, which has since been demolished. Coleman [1892-1934] was Australian Labor Party Member for Federal Electorate of Reid and elected in 1922 and 1925.
W G Layton, Strathfield Council Aldermen and Town Clerk of City of Sydney Council lived at ‘Mundara’, which has since been demolished. This was later the home of Sir Charles Lloyd Jones, principal of David Jones Pty Ltd..