Elwin Street Strathfield

By Cathy Jones

Elwin Street appears to be named after Theodore Elwin, an early resident of Strathfield who owned a large property in Redmyre Road Strathfield.

Past residents

Frederick Parsons, landagent and Alderman and Mayor (1895-7, 1904-05) at ‘Wooroonook’.  Parsons wife conducted the ‘Wooroonook’ school at their home.

Judge Walter Edmonds lived at ‘Wendouree’ –  cnr Elwin and Florence Streets on the east corner.  This house has since been demolished and subdivided.

Frederick Percy Ford, Chairman of David Jones & Co [retailers]. Ford was the grandson of David Jones and son of Clarissa Jones, daughter of David Jones. Ford lived at ‘Goomerbong’ cnr Elwin and Florence Streets.

Claude Percival Taubman, Head of CH Taubman of Co. Paint Manufacturers. lived on the corner of Elwin and Florence Streets.