by Cathy Jones
Wawona’ is located at 96 Albyn Road Strathfield on the 1913 Hatherley estate subdivision. This house was approved for construction in June 1915 for Percy Arnott, a director of Arnott’s Biscuits. The house is in a bungalow style and was designed by architect Herbert Dennis and the builder was E Ayles, Essex Street, Epping. The estimated value of the construction was £2370. This house was featured in The Salon in June 1916.
Arnott(1889-1950) was also a formidable sportsman, a well-known golfer and a member of the Australian Cricket Team which toured the United States in 1913. He was a member of the Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron and the Prince Alfred Yacht Club. He was captain and president of Concord Golf Club. Arnott resided in this house until his death in 1950.
This house is one of a number of homes owned by the Arnott’s family, who owned and operated the Arnott’s Biscuits Factory at Homebush.
Department of Valuer-General, Valuation Lists, Municipality of Strathfield
Fox & Associates, Strathfield Heritage Study, 1986
‘The Salon’ Vol.7 June 1916
Strathfield Council Building register