Albert Road was named after Albert [1819-1861], Prince Consort of Queen Victoria.
Albert Street [between Homebush Rd to Coventry Rd] first appears in the 1886 Sands Directory. The section of Albert Road located between Homebush Road and The Boulevarde was formerly known as Clarendon Street.
In the late nineteenth century, Albert Road was considered one of Sydney’s most prestigious streets and was the location of huge mansions such as ‘Milroy’, ‘Elwood House’ and ‘Chepstowe’.
Today’s Albert Road is one of the most historically significant streets in Strathfield and contains many examples of late 19th century and early 20th century architecture such as ‘Mount Royal’, ‘Glenfarne’, ‘Tuxedo’ and ‘Corfu’.
‘Mount Royal’ (now Australian Catholic University’), Albert Road Strathfield (also addressed as 25A Barker Road Strathfield)