There are a number of town centres in the Strathfield district. The town centres of Strathfield, Homebush and Flemington are located around the railway which was first established in 1855. Other town centres such as Strathfield South and Enfield (The Broadway) developed around major roads.
The major transport and retail centre of the Strathfield district is the Strathfield Town Centre. In the late 19th century Strathfield Town Centre featured a small rail station, a few shops and large Victorian mansions. However, in the 1920s the rail station was extensively expanded and Strathfield became one of NSW’s major city and country rail stations. Homes made way for rail expansion and development of a shopping precinct. Strathfield Council acquired land surplus to the railway and created Strathfield Square (park and open space) in the 1920s. Strathfield Plaza opened in the early 1980s and Strathfield Square was extensively redesigned in the 1980s.
The Homebush Village shopping centre is located near the historic Homebush rail station, one of Sydney’s first rail stations built in 1855. Originally the shops extended from Rochester Street to Parramatta Road, however when the railway tracks were raised, Rochester St was split and the northern end became Knight Street. This separated the two shopping centres on Rochester Street and Parramatta Road. The buildings in the Homebush Village date back to the early 1900s and feature many federation and interwar style buildings.
The Homebush West residential and shopping centre, Flemington Rail Station and Sydney’s Stockyards (now Sydney Markets) commenced development in the 1880s. Flemington Rail Station opened in 1884. Nearby residential and industrial development created demand for local shops. The oldest shops still standing in Homebush West were built in the 1920s.
The Strathfield South Shopping Centre is located on the ‘crossways’ of Liverpool Road and Liverpool Road (Hume Hwy). Liverpool Road was first built in 1814 joining Sydney to Liverpool by road. This road predates most residential development in Strathfield and in early times featured small half-way hotels for travellers. By the late 19th century a small shopping area developed featuring a post office, general stores and White’s timber yards. Though the timber yard is long gone, older locals still refer to this centre as ‘White’s Corner’. Many buildings including the Crossways Hotel date back to the 1920s.
Enfield Shopping Centre is also known as ‘The Broadway’ and is located at the intersection of Liverpool Road, The Boulevarde and Coronation Parade and is separated between Strathfield and Burwood Councils. Until 1948, trams ran from the Tangarra Street Enfield Terminus, down Coronation Parade and Liverpool Road to Burwood, Ashfield and Mortlake. The Centre featured many shops and the former Enfield Savoy Cinema.
The Cave Road Shopping Centre is a small set of shops built c.1960. This area was a former golf course but redeveloped as a residential precinct. Cave Road adjoins the Cooks River and is located close to Liverpool Road in the west of Strathfield.
This section contains information on significant recreation services and shops in Strathfield. The following topics have their own pages: