John Pomeroy (d.1906) was a partner in retailer David Jones & Co from 1875 to 1892 and a prominent resident of Homebush .
The Pomeroy family lived at ‘Laira’ [later known as ‘Pomeroy House’] in Wentworth Rd, Homebush from c.1887 to 1912. It is not generally known that the management of David Jones & Co, from 1838 until 1906 when the company was publicly listed, was established as a partnership between members of the Jones family and non-family partners such as Pomeroy. Most of the management of David Jones & Co resided in Strathfield including Jones family members [particularly sons and daughters of David Jones but not David Jones himself] and company partners such as John Pomeroy, shoe manufacturer William Newman [‘Chepstowe’ Albert Rd Strathfield], James Emanuel Woodward, Frederick Percy Ford [‘Goomerabong’ cnr Florence St and Albyn Rd] and Thomas James Thompson [‘Malvern’ The Boulevarde]. Both Ford and Thompson were sons-in-law of David Jones.
Pomeroy’s death was reported in the Sydney Morning Herald on 16 August 1906, page 6:
The funeral of the late Mr. John Pomeroy took place yesterday afternoon at Rookwood, and was largely attended. A service was held at Laira, Homebush, and the ceremony at the gravesite was conducted by the Rev. W. Cuncliffe Jones, assisted by the Revs. W. Mathison, , B.A., and R. A. Thompson, B A. (chairman of the Congregational Union of New South Wales). Tho chief mourners wore Messrs, John L. Pomeroy and Arthur S. Pomeroy (sons). Amongst others present were Messrs, James Robortson, T. W. Harris, B. L. Sutton, G. F. Todman, and Dr. Quaife, Messrs. E. Lloyd Jones, J. G. Thompson, P. E. Thompson, and F. P. Ford (members ot the firm of David Jones and Co.), Messrs. John Vernon (Auditor- General), G. R. Short (Commercial Bank, Newcastle), G. M. Buchanan (Melbourne), S. H. Harris, John Wheeler, A. W. Sutton, A. W. S. Gregg, James Gregg, S. H. Lewis, W. H. Shortland , Henry Pratt, A. Wilcox, C. Rees, W. M, Savage, J. Hughes, J. Gamble, John Caswell, Dr. Newman, and employees of the firm of David Jones and Co. Mr. E. K. Satchell (vice- president) represented tho Y.M.C.A., and many, other members of the association were present. The wreaths and floral emblems laid upon the grave were numerous and beautiful.
His home ‘Laira’ was advertised for sale in the Sydney Morning Herald 24 October 1908, p25:
An ATTRACTIVE modern faithfully-built COMMODIOUS RESIDENCE, in spacious grounds of 2 1/4 ACRES, on a hill commanding wide views.
By order of the Executrix in the Estate of JOHN POMEROY, Esq.
LAIRA is of solid brickwork, cemented, slate roof, tiled verandah on 3 sides, balconies, wide tiled entrance hall and vestibule, drawing and dining rooms (each 20 x 16), breakfast-room, six bedrooms (two each 20 x 30), dressing and bath rooms, servants and box rooms, panto, store .and larder, kitchen, laundry. Brick stabling (two stalls), coachhouse, loft, and man’s room over, tool and man’s room. No expense was spared by late owner to render the property a high-class well-finished residence, cedar and choice fittings. Lofty and richly-corniced rooms.
GROUNDS are variedly and strikingly laid out into Shrubberies, Garden, Lawns (1. tennis), small Orchard and Garden, and Fowlyard for home use.
LAIRA ranks amongst the Superior Properties of theFix this text Western Suburban Railway Line, with its, frequent through and slow train service. The district enjoys a splendid crisp atmosphere; and this freehold 1s commended to the notice of seekers of a Delightful House and Grounds.
AUCTION SALE FRIDAY, 13th NOVEMBER,
at our Rooms, 98 Pitt-Street, at 11.30.
RICHARDSON and WRENCH, Ltd.
The National Trust classified Pomeroy House in the early 1970’s but it was demolished amid much controversy to make way for the M4 motorway (though the eventual motorway was located on a different site).
The demolition of this house highlighted the absence of legislative protection for historic properties in NSW and the case of ‘Pomeroy House’ was considered an impetus for the establishment of the first Heritage Act in NSW.
Pomeroy St and Pomeroy Reserve [now Bill Boyce Reserve] in Homebush were named after John Pomeroy and his home.