The land that Melville Reserve is located was acquired by Strathfield Council in 1928 as the land was considered flood-prone and bi-sected by a waterway.
The land was formatted into a public reserve in the early 1930s.
Melville Reserve, Hampstead Road Homebush West, was dedicated and officially opened on the 21st November 1937. The Reserve is named for solicitor Alexander Melville, an Alderman (1925-1940) and Mayor of Strathfield (1939-40).
Following Melville’s death in 1940, Council dedicated a water fountain in Melville Reserve to his memory. The water fountain was designed by architects Morrow and Gordon and erected by builder A E Green.
The Reserve contains many items of interest including WWI War Memorials. The iron gates on Hampstead Rd and the bridge were dedicated by the ‘people of Flemington’ to commemorate the Great War 1914-1918. These items are included as heritage items on Council’s Local Environmental Plan.
Contracts Let, Sydney Morning Herald, 20 May 1941, p5.
Strathfield Council, Meeting Minutes, 28 August 1928