Inveresk Park was created from the sub-division of the grounds of the house ‘Inveresk’, Coventry Road Strathfield. The ‘Inveresk Estate’ created residential lots in the the eastern section of Merley Road, which included this park.
‘Inveresk’ was built and owned by George Begg Vickery (1865-1938). Vickery was the son of Ebenezer Vickery MLC (1827-1906), a prominent and wealthy businessman with interests in mining, farming, philanthropy and politics. After his father’s death in 1906, George Vickery took over as manager of the family businesses. Vickery was also a keen amateur microscopist and a member of the Royal Society of New South Wales. George Vickery upon his death in 1938 was one of Australia’s wealthiest men, leaving an estate of £435 826 upon his death.
After his death, his son Ottamar developed plans to subdivide the grounds of ‘Inveresk’ for residential development. After developing various plans, Vickery opted to donate to Strathfield Council, a sizeable public recreation area. In appreciation of this gift, Council offered Vickery naming rights of the new park and suggested ‘Vickery Park’. Vickery, however, preferred ‘Inveresk Park’, the name of his father’s home in Strathfield.
Inveresk Park supports one of the last remaining remnants of Sydney Turpentine Ironbark Forest in innerwestern Sydney and is an Endangered Ecological Community (EEC). Isolated individual Eucalyptus longifolia (Woollybutt), E. moluccana (Grey Box), E. fibrosa (Broad-leaved Ironbark) E. globoidea (White Stringybark) and Turpentine provide nest hollows for cockatoos, parrots and lorikeets and nectar for some honeyeaters, mainly Noisy Miner and Red Wattlebird (Strathfield Fauna Study 2017).
Inveresk Park is a heritage Item on the Strathfield LEP (Item I178) and is significant for its historical associations with the Vickery family and its environmental features.