By Cathy Jones
Dean Reserve is accessible from Dean Street Strathfield South. The reserve takes its name from the street. However, most of the frontage of the park faces the Cooks River and in its original state featured native shrubs and trees
While this site was originally subdivided for residential development, the land was low lying and prone to flooding and plans for residential development were abandoned. Like many similar sites along the Cooks River, the site was developed as a brickpit.
From the late 1890s, the Western Suburbs Brickworks Pty Ltd established a brick pit due to the rich alluvial clay in the area. This brickpit was a major employer in the Enfield district (today known as Strathfield South, Belfield & Enfield).
In the immediate post-war period, the brickworks expanded due to the housing boom of this period. The site was closed in mid 1950’s. Later Strathfield Council acquired the site and established a tip, containing mainly excavated materials from roadworks, until its closure in the late 1980s.
Dean Reserve was reopened in late 2006 after extensive refurbishment with playgrounds, seating, BBQ and picnic facilities.