Mayor of Strathfield [1895-97, 1904-05]
Frederick William Parsons [1852-1933] served as an Alderman on Strathfield Council from 1890 to 1914 and elected Mayor in 1895-7.
Parsons at an early age went into the employ of Messrs. Keep and Parsons, warehousemen, where he remained for fourteen years. In 1880, he started his own real estate agency. Parsons was a prominent City based real estate agent and auctioneer.
Parsons was one of the organisers of the petition to NSW Government in September 1884 to incorporate Strathfield Municipality.
Parsons lived at ‘Wooroonook’ in Elwin St Strathfield, where his wife, Alice Mary Parsons (nee Fuller), operated a girl’s day school also called ‘Wooroonook’. Alice was the sister-in-law of Charles Carey Lance, former Sydney Harbour Commissioner.
Parsons died in 1933 and his remains were interred in the Congregational portion of Rookwood cemetery. The Sydney Morning Herald reported that chief morners were Mrs Parsons (widow), Miss Parsons (sister), Mr C C Lance (brother-in law), Dr A L Lance and Mr A Curnow (nephews) and David Keane (grandson). Among those present were Alderman J R Firth, ex Alderman F J Wallis, Dr Hornbrook, Messrs H C Kent, A R Nott, H Thomson, W A Glider, D G Paddle, A Mullens, A Hirst, E Lawrence, Watson, T Holley, F and H Chapman and E Keep . The Society of Women Painters and the Society of Arts and Cralts were represented by Mrs F A Q Stephens and Miss Winifred Caddy
Parsons Avenue Strathfield was named for Frederick Parsons.
Men of Mark: Appendix, 1888
“Mr R W Parsons”, Sydney Morning Herald, 16 May 1933, p16
Author: Cathy Jones
(c) Cathy Jones 2010