Adjoining ‘Mount Royal’ (now the Edmund Rice Building of Australian Catholic University) at the western end of Albert Road Strathfield, once stood the homes ‘Ovalau’ and ‘Andross’.
‘Ovalau’ was built in 1888 for a George Morgan, a planter from the Fiji Islands. The house was located on the northside of top of Albert Road.
One of the later occupants of the house was James Edmond (1859-1933), of ‘The Bulletin’ (Edmond also has an Australian Dictionary of Biography entry).
In 1917, the Christian Brothers, who had already acquired ‘Mount Royal’, purchased the house from Morgan for £3250. ‘Ovalau’ was later renamed ‘St Enda’s’. It was demolished in 1962.
‘Ardross’ was built in 1885 for Robert Phillips of ‘independent means’. It was located on the southside of the top of Albert Road.
‘Ardross’ was acquired by the Christian Brothers in 1918 for sum of £2000. The house was renamed ‘St Joseph’s’. It was partially destroyed by fire in 1966 and then demolished. The house stood in the area which is now the carpark facing Barker Road.
Stewart, D.(2004), Mount Royal to Mount Saint Mary: A history of the Christian Brothers at Mount Saint Mary 1908-1992.