‘Andross’ Albert Rd Strathfield

Adjoining ‘Mount Royal’ (now the Edmund Rice Building of Australian Catholic University) at the western end of Albert Road Strathfield, once stood the homes ‘Ovalau’ and ‘Andross’.

‘Ardross’ was built in 1885 for Robert Phillips of ‘independent means’.  It was located on the southside of the top of Albert Road.

‘Ardross’ was acquired by the Christian Brothers in 1918 for sum of £2000.  The house was renamed ‘St Joseph’s’.   It was partially destroyed by fire in 1966 and then demolished.  The house stood in the area which is now the carpark at ACU facing Barker Road.

References

Stewart, D.(2004), Mount Royal to Mount Saint Mary: A history of the Christian Brothers at Mount Saint Mary 1908-1992.