By Cathy Jones
Burlington Road Homebush is located within the site of various 1793 land grants offered to a group of free settlers in an area known as Liberty Plains by the NSW Colonial Government anxious to secure a food supply for the growing colony. Land was granted to Frederick Meredith 60 acres dated 28th May 1793, Thomas Rose 70 acres originally granted on 10 May 1798, Simeon Lord granted 160 acres dated 9 August 1803 and Edward Powell 19 acres dated 1 January 1810. The land proved difficult to farm and the settlers abandoned farming activity and moved from their land.
Underwood Estate and ‘Village of Homebush’
Eventually, this land and other land located in the current day Homebush West and Homebush (both sides of the railway line) came under the ownership of James Underwood, Edward Powell’s son-in-law. The land became known as the ‘Underwood Estate’. In 1878, 306 acres of the Underwood Estate was subdivided for residential development and marketed as ‘Village of Homebush’. This subdivision created Burlington Rd, Beresford Road, Abbotsford Rd, Bridge St, Coventry Rd, Meredith St, Homebush Crescent (later The Crescent) and Bellevue Street Homebush Road.
There are representative buildings for the various stages of residential development of Burlington Road. This ranges from the Victorian style residences at ‘Marlborough’ 94-96 Burlington Road, ‘Finchley’ 61 Burlington Road and ‘Meyrick’ 82 Burlington Road. Federation style homes are represented by ‘Billesdon’ 104-106 Burlington Road.
The majority of houses in the section of Burlington Road from Homebush Road to Meredith Street have been demolished and replaced with units due rezoning of land in the late 1960s.
A few shops are located on Burlington Road near the corner of Rochester Street. Also of interest is the Homebush Uniting Church and Manse at 51 Burlington Road.
Burlington Road Historic properties of interest
Homebush-Strathfield Uniting Church & Manse, 51 Burlington Road
‘Meyrick’ 82 Burlington Road
‘Marlborough’ 94–96 Burlington Road
‘Billesdon’ 104–106 Burlington Road