Many researchers are unaware that some streets in Strathfield Municipality have been renamed. This can be confusing to researchers, therefore this index has been compiled to assist in your research. This list is by no means exhaustive and if other name changes are uncovered, they will be added to the list. Any comments, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Alviston Rd (Strathfield)
Now known as Parsons Avenue. Alviston St was once called Alviston Rd and began at Homebush Road and with an L-turn joined Albyn Rd. This second portion of the road has since been renamed Parsons Avenue(1).
Beaumont St (Strathfield)
Gelling Avenue was originally named Beaumont St, after early resident William Beaumont. The name was changed around 1916 and was named after Benjamin Gelling, a Mayor of Strathfield(2).
Bellevue Street or Road (Homebush)
Bellevue Street or Road was the original name of the section of road (which is now Homebush Rd) located between The Crescent and Beresford Rd.(3)
Blanche Street (Strathfield)
Blanche St was the former name of the section of Llandilo Avenue, which ran between Cotswold Rd and Kingsland Rd (4). After the subdivision of the ‘Llandilo Estate’, the home of SIr Phillip Sydney Jones in 1910, additional road was added to Blanche St and the street was renamed Llandilo Avenue.
Bushy Hill Road (Strathfield)
Now known as Albyn Rd. Bushy Hill Rd was located between Homebush Rd and Chalmers Rd and it was said to describe the natural environment of this area. This section of Albyn Rd is located on the Bushy Hill Estate, which was subdivided in 1880.
Clarendon Street (Strathfield)
Clarendon St was the original name of the section of the present Albert Rd located between The Boulevarde and Elva Street(5).
Coventry St or Rd (Homebush)
Coventry St or Rd at one stage ran from Rochester St through to Parramatta Rd. The section between Dickson and The Crescent was renamed Mackenzie St and the section between Loftus Crescent and Parramatta Rd was renamed Smallwood Avenue.
Creek Street (Homebush)
Pomeroy St was originally called Creek St(6). Pomeroy St was named after John Pomeroy, a partner of retailer David Jones, who lived in Wentworth Rd in a mansion called ‘Pomeroy House’, which was demolished to make way for the M4 Motorway in the 1970’s.
Deans Lane (South Strathfield)
Now knows as Laws Lane.
Edward St (South Strathfield)
A 1889 sub-division poster refers to the present James St as Edward St(7). It is assumed that Edward referred to Edward Saunders, the original owner of this land and name was changed as another street in South Strathfield was also called Edward St.
Elsie Street (Strathfield)
The section of the present Shortland Avenue located between Fraser Street and Dickson Street was once called Elsie Street. The street was renamed after Judge Percy Shortland, a former Mayor of Strathfield.
Eston Street was the section of the present Broughton Rd located between Mackenzie Street and Fraser Street(8).
Haydon Street (Strathfield)
Now known as Hunter Street.
Homebush Crescent (Homebush)
Early sub-division maps c.1900-1905 refer to The Crescent as Homebush Crescent(9).
Jersey St (South Strathfield)
Now known as Homebush Rd. Jersey St was located between Dean Street and Liverpool Road(10).
Jupiter Parade (Greenacre)
Wentworth Street Greenacre was formerly known as Jupiter Parade.
Little Margaret Street (Strathfield)
The small section of road between Redmyre Rd and Margaret St was once known as Little Margaret Street, the entire street is now called Margaret Street.
Miller Street (Enfield)
Miller Street was located between Pilcher Street and Cleveland Street. The street was sold in the 1960s.
Oran Street (South Strathfield)
Now known as Dean Street
Park Rd (South Strathfield)
Now known as Cosgrove Rd. Park Rd was located between Liverpool Rd and Cleveland Street.
Punchbowl Rd (South Strathfield)
Now known as Coronation Parade. The name was changed to Coronation Parade, when the Coronation Arch was opened in 1937 to commemorate the coronation of King George VI.
Railway Road (Strathfield)
Now known as Albyn Rd. It is also sometimes referred to Railway Street. Railway Rd was located between The Boulevarde and Homebush Rd.
Redmyre Boulevarde (Strathfield)
This road once included Redmyre Rd and The Boulevarde was once known as Redmyre Boulevarde. In some early sub-division maps c.1880, Redmyre Rd is referred to as Redmyre Boulevarde(11). The Boulevarde in some early sub-division maps is also referred to as Redmyre Boulevarde.(12)
Redmyre Street (Strathfield)
Now known as Brunswick St(13).
Reginald Street (Belfield)
Now known as Cosgrove Rd. Reginald St was located between Cleveland Street and Punchbowl Rd.
Rochester Street (Homebush)
Now known as Knight Street. Rochester St once ran between Coventry Rd and Parramatta Rd, however with the railway intersecting the street, the two sections became divided and the section between Loftus Crescent and Parramatta Rd was renamed Knight St.
Verney Street (Strathfield)
Now known as Cameron Street. This name appears on subdivision maps but it doesn’t appear to have been used in street directories or on Council records.
Victoria Parade (Homebush West)
The portion of The Crescent located between Hampstead Rd and Richmond Rd was once known as Victoria Parade(14).
Waller Street (Strathfield)
Waller Street is shown on early sub-division maps situated where Augusta St is now located(15). This name appears on subdivision maps but it doesn’t appear to have been used in street directories or on Council records. Sarah Waller, sister of early Strathfield resident Charles Muddle, purchased a number of lots in the subdivision of the Redmire Estate in 1867. Augusta St and Strathfield Park are located on Sarah Waller’s land.
William Street (Strathfield)
Once the name of the section of Mintaro Avenue between Homebush Rd and Liverpool Rd. It was renamed Mintaro Avenue, when the street was formally sub-divided as the ‘Mintaro Estate’ in 1912 by Ebenezer Ford.
William Street (Strathfield South)
Once the name of Clement Street.
Woodgreen Road (Strathfield)
Torrington Avenue was once called Woodgreen Rd. This street was created by the sub-division of the Woodgreen Estate c.1880.
Yarmouth Road (Strathfield)
Yarmouth Road is now known as Wallis Avenue(16). Yarmouth Rd was gazetted on 17th May 1918 as a road.
(1) ‘Woodgreen & Strathfield Estate’ sub-division poster 31st July 1880 shows Alviston Rd occupying the streets known as Alviston St (off Homebush Rd) & Parsons Ave (off Albyn Rd). Also noted in Sands Sydney Directory.
(2) p2, SDHS Vol. 11 No. 10 June 1989. ‘Waller Estate’ sub-division poster dated 1906 shows Beaumont St.
(3) ‘Homebush Estate’ sub-division poster dated April 1888. Bellevue St is also shown on auction notice for sale of ‘Homebush Good Building sites’ dated 31st August 1901.
(4) ‘Cotswold Estate’ sub-division poster dated May 26 1900. ‘Llandilo Estate’ sub-division poster dated November 5 1910.
(5) Many sub-division posters show Clarendon St including ‘Homebush Estate’ dated April 1888. Also noted in Sands Sydney Directory.
(6) Untitled sub-division poster dated January 19th 1880, showing the sold portion of the Underwood Estate including Homebush Crescent (now The Crescent), Rochester St (the section that is now Knight St has been taken from the original Rochester St) and Creek St (now Pomeroy St). Also noted in Sands Sydney Directory.
(7) Sub-division poster of Lots 68 & 69 of the ’Redmire Estate’ dated 2.9.1889.
(8) ‘Enfield and Chullora Marshalling Yards’ Estate sub-division poster dated 23rd April 1921
(9) Untitled sub-division poster dated January 19th 1880, showing the sold portion of the Underwood Estate including Homebush Crescent (now The Crescent), Rochester St (the section that is now Knight St has been taken from the original Rochester St) and Creek St (now Pomeroy St). Homebush Residential & Business Units Auction notice of 15th October 1904 shows Homebush Crescent.
(10) ‘Holmwood Estate’ sub-divison poster dated 28th November 1925.
(11) ‘Bushy Hill Estate’ sub-division poster dated November 1880. Also Sands Sydney Directory.
(12) ‘Woodgreen & Strathfield Estate’ sub-division poster 31st July 1880. Also Sands Sydney Directory
(13) p2, SDHS Vol. 12 No. 1 August 1989. ‘Mount Vernon Estate’ sub-division poster dated 17th July 1880 shows ‘Redmyre Street’. Also noted in Sands Sydney Directory
(14) ‘Enfield and Chullora Marshalling Yards Estate’ sub-divison poster dated 23 April 1921.
(15) ‘Waller Estate’ sub-division poster 20th October 1906.
(16) Yarmouth Road is noted in Sands Sydney Directory and on many sub-division posters, deposited plans and directories.
Written by Cathy Jones, 2006. This article is subject to copyright and may not be reproduced without permission of the author. Click here for link to further information on copyright and use of information from this website.