Churchill Avenue runs between The Boulevarde and Homebush Road. Part of this street is located in the Strathfield Town Centre. The building of Raw Square, in the late 1960s, had the effect of bisecting the residential area of Churchill Avenue from the Town Centre of Strathfield.
Churchill Avenue, between Elva Street and Homebush Road contains primarily Federation styled buildings. This section of Churchill Avenue was created in 1903 through subdivision of land known as the ‘King Estate’. Prior to this time, it had been largely considered unusable due to the presence of a watercourse, created by overflow water from Powell’s Creek (which runs at nearby Elva Street and finishes under Strathfield Square).
Most of the houses in Churchill Avenue were built in the early 1900s. The area between Elva Street and Homebush Road was listed as a heritage conservation area in 1987 in Strathfield Council’s Local Environmental Plan.
St Martha’s Catholic Church and School is located on the corner of Homebush Road and Churchill Avenue.
A number of houses on Churchill-Avenue are associated with important local people.
- ‘Mozart House’ at 57 Churchill Avenue was the home of Hugo Alpen, the Superintendent of Music in the Department of Public lnstruction from 1907 until his death in 1917.
- James McGirr, Premier and Colonial Treasurer of N.S.W. from 1947 to 1952, lived at 59 Churchill Avenue from 1941 until his death in 1957.
- Sir Edward McTiernan, longest serving member of the High Court of Australia, lived at ‘Allerton’ 78 Churchill Avenue from 1927 to 1950.