By Cathy Jones
Druitt Town was a suburb located south of Liverpool Rd to the north side of Cooks River in the area which is now Strathfield South.
The suburb was named for Major George Druitt, a friend of Joshua Judge Josephson, a large land owner in the local district. However, most of the ‘suburb’ of Druitt Town is actually located on land not owned by Josephson. Most is located on the ‘Village of St Ann’s’ (Father John Joseph Therry’s grant of 1847) and the Redmire Estate (originally granted to James Wilshire in 1808).
In 1891, the Druitt Town Post Office was closed and relocated to Punchbowl Road – now Coronation Parade – Enfield and the Druitt Town Public School was renamed Strathfield South Public School. Around this time, use of the suburb name Druitt Town seems to have ceased. From 1949, the locality was incorporated into Strathfield Council and it is currently known as Strathfield South.