By Cathy Jones
‘Tiptree’ was built in c.1906, cnr Llandilo Avenue and Kingsland Road Strathfield.
The house was built for the Rev. Charles T Newman (d.1911) and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Hon. Ebenezer Vickery MLC. Elizabeth Newman was the sister of Joseph Vickery of ‘Strathfield’ and George Begg Vickery of ‘Inveresk’, both prominent businessmen who also lived in Strathfield. Her sister Amy Alfreda Vickery lived at ‘Lauriston’ The Boulevarde. Both ‘Tiptree’ and ‘Lauriston’ were designed by architect Alfred Newman, son of the Rev. Newman and his first wife.
Elizabeth Vickery was born at sea not far from the Canary Islands on the SS ‘Tiptree’ in 1860, which is the source of the name of the house. After Mrs Newman’s death in 1942, ‘Tiptree’ was sold to the Red Cross and operated during World War II as a convalescent home for servicewomen known as the Eva Hordern Red Cross Home. The home was opened on March 11 1944 by the Minister for Army, the Hon. Frank Forde. The Eva Hordern Home was the first Home in NSW which was purchased, renovated and furnished for the convalescent women of the auxillary services.
Following the war, the home was used as a Tuberculous clinic and treatment unit.
‘Tiptree’ which was demolished in 1954 and the land sub-divided in 1957 to create Tiptree Avenue, a cul-de-sac.
EVA HORDERN HOME FOR T.B. (1948, June 18). The Land (Sydney, NSW : 1911 – 1954), p. 22. Retrieved March 23, 2021, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article105812352
Personal and General (1944, March 25). The Methodist (Sydney NSW: 1892-1954), p.7.