‘Halcyon’ is located at 110 Homebush Road Strathfield, on the corner of Woodward Avenue Strathfield. It is built on the historic 1880 Woodgreen Estate.
The land was purchased by Mrs Ethel Greenland (d.1943), wife of Harrie O. Greenland (1883-1948), an accountant. Approval to build a brick bungalow was approved in January 1916. The builders were Bourne & Sons Burwood and the estimated value of building was £1330.
Harrie Greenland (1883-1948) was manger of William Arnott Ltd, Homebush. He and his wife lived at ‘Halcyon’ until their deaths. The house was then sold to Walter Forsyth, a solicitor of the firm Sly & Russell. Forsyth served as an Alderman on Strathfield Council from 1948-1954. By 1960, the house was owned by Ian and Audrey Gordon.
The house has been re-adapted as a childcare centre.
Department of Valuer-General, Valuation List, Municipality of Strathfield
Fox & Associates, Strathfield Heritage Study, 1986
Family Notices (1948, October 22). The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 – 1954), p. 14. Retrieved August 23, 2020, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article18092481
OBITUARY. (1934, October 27). The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 – 1954), p. 19. Retrieved August 23, 2020, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article17124825
NSW Electoral Rolls, Division of Nepean 1917
Sands Sydney & Suburban Directory
Strathfield Council Building Register
Wise’s Post Office Directory of Strathfield, Enfield and Homebush 1936.