By Cathy Jones
The South Strathfield Bowling Club was located in Thew Reserve, 44 Augusta Street Strathfield. Since the closure of the Bowling Club in 2010, the clubhouse has been refitted and reopened as the Dutton Centre, a community centre. The site borders the Cooks River and Bay to Bay Walkway/Cycleway.
The land on which the park was built was acquired in the 1920s by Strathfield Council. The land contained a watercourse and was considered unsuitable for building due to drainage problems. The land was then developed into a park called Thew Reserve, named after Albert Henry Thew (1871-1951), the Town Clerk of Strathfield Municipal Council for thirty one years from 1907 to 1938.
In 1956, the land was licenced to the Strathfield South Bowling and Community Club. The Strathfield South Bowling Club was established in 1954 with temporary green at 10 Wakeford Rd Strathfield. Portion of Thew Reserve in Augusta St South Strathfield secured for permanent site for club through lease arrangement with Strathfield Council in 1956. Building of two lawn greens was completed in 1957. The clubhouse was completed and opened in 1957, with an extension to the clubhouse in 1962. The Club closed in 2010.