By Cathy Jones
The Strathfield Recreation Club in Morwick Street Strathfield was formerly known as the Union Recreation Club of Redmyre. The Club was formed in May 1881 and opened in 1882 by a number of prominent residents of Burwood, Redmyre (renamed Strathfield in 1886) and Homebush for bowling and other amusements to benefit the neighbourhood ‘especially if ladies were admitted’. The Club built tennis courts, lawn bowling greens, croquet lawns and a clubhouse. The name was changed to the present Strathfield Recreation Club on 28th October 1913.
In 1946, the Croquet Lawns were relocated to 50 Redmyre Road Strathfield at the rear of the then Baby Health Centre.
The photograph is part of series of postcards of Sydney suburbs, produced by photographers Kerry & Co, from around 1903 to 1917.