By Cathy Jones
In 1956, the Strathfield South Branch Library was built in the northern end of Edwards Park, at 64 High Street Strathfield. The High Street Library became Strathfield’s Central Library from 1967 to 1976.
In 1975, land was purchased at 65 Rochester Street Homebush with the intention of erecting a new Central Library. The new two-storey library, measuring 663 m2, was officially opened by the Mayor Alderman Clarrie Edwards on 3 December 1976. Following the library opening, the old Library on Parramatta Road closed and the High Street Library became the branch Library.
By the 2000’s, the existing libraries were under significant strain with aging buildings, growing community demand and new technology requirements. Both the Central and Branch Libraries were demolished and rebuilt in the 2000’s.
The 1976 library structure was demolished in February 2003 and the new library measuring 1900 m2, three times the size of the previous library, was opened in March 2004. The building, designed by architects Brewster Hjorth, was the 2004 winner of the Master Builder’s Association Excellence in Construction Award for public buildings up to $5 million.