Corner shops in the Strathfield Council area are rare, unlike other areas in Inner West Sydney. In April 1920 Strathfield Council adopted a residential proclamation that prohibited the building and trade of shops in most of the Strathfield Council area. The proclamation stayed in place until 1969. Particularly in the former Enfield Council areas (including Strathfield South, parts of Belfield and Greenacre), shops on residential streets were more common. Shops were located on streets such as Dean Street Strathfield South and Birriwa Avenue Belfield.
The building of shops at 30-32 High Street Strathfield were approved in 1920 just prior to the adoption of the proclamation. The shops, a grocery and butcher shop, were built by G Glenhill. Both shops are no longer trading. The Butcher shop on the corner of High Street and Eve Street traded until at least 1985. The following businesses occupied this site: Walter E Bridle, butcher [1929-1948]; A W Bridle, butcher [1949-1958]; F Bridle, butcher [1959-1960]; E Grant, butcher [1961-1966]; W G Robinson, butcher [1967-1974]; High St Butchery ; F Picone, butcher ; Delfran Holdings, butcher ; R & R O’Leary. butcher [1979-1985].