By Cathy Jones
In 1868, Strathfieldsaye was built for Walter Renny, painter and Lord Mayor of Sydney (1869-70). The house name was inspired by the Duke of Wellington’s English home and was located at the western end of Strathfield Avenue Strathfield. It was later known as Strathfield House and the name was adopted for the new Municipality of Strathfield on 2 June 1885.
‘Strathfieldsaye’ was a two-storey brick residence with a lodge, stables and other outbuildings and was set back about 600 feet from The Boulevarde. The house was occupied later by John Hardy of Hardy Brothers, silversmiths and jewelers; John Maclean Arnott, managing director of Arnott’s Biscuits lived at ‘Strathfield’ and businessman Joseph Vickery. The house was demolished in 1957.