The Arnott’s Biscuit Factory operated at George Street Homebush from 1908 to 1997, when the factory was relocated to Huntingwood. However, Arnott’s Head Office is still located in George Street Homebush, in one of the former factory buildings. The relocation of Arnott’s Biscuits to Homebush was criticised at the time as ‘Arnott’s folly’ but it is was an advantageous move as the site had rail access and supply of labour from nearby suburbs of Homebush, Strathfield and Concord. Many members of the Arnott’s family were residents of Strathfield, including the firm’s founder William Arnott. Some of Strathfield Council’s parks such as Mason and Bressington Parks, which are built on reclaimed land, were filled with damaged and crushed Arnott’s Biscuit tins.
The Homebush factory closed in 1997. The former factory has been readapted into the Bakehouse Quarter, which contains shops, offices, amusements and restaurants. The Bakehouse Quarter maintains many references to its Arnott’s history ranging from the SAO sign to small Arnott’s Parrot emblems woven into building facades. George St has been recast with a cobblestone road and Edwardian style-lighting harking back to the days in the early twentieth century when the Arnott’s factory was first built. More information on the Arnott’s factory.