Historical information on 2 Barker Road Strathfield is provided in response to requests for further information on the history of the property and Bunya Pine trees, which appear to have been recently poisoned.
‘Lyndoch Place’, 2 Barker Road was built in 1933 on the ‘Wynola Estate’, which was subdivided in 1925 and created lots in Chalmers Road and Barker Road Strathfield. The house was built at cost of £3500 by local builder Sydney Skinner for owner Donald Saxton of Saxton & Binns, timber joinery and builders supply merchants of Pyrmont. The house was originally called ‘Pindari’.
The house is heritage listed on Strathfield Council’s Local Environmental Plan and is described as ‘a good representative example of the Inter-War Old English style incorporating multiple gables, imitation half timbering, herringbone brickwork and tall chimneys…it is a prominent element in the streetscape’.
This house was later the home of Lancelot Bush, of A J Bush & Sons Pty Ltd. A J Bush Pty Ltd was established in Sydney in 1921 by A J Bush and are national manufacturers of meat, operating over 30 retail shops across NSW. The headquarters of A J Bush & Sons Pty Ltd is located in Homebush.
The prominent Bunya Pines (Anaucaria Bidwilli), located on the corner of Barker and Chalmers Road, are listed as landmark trees on Strathfield Council’s Significant Tree Register and are estimated to have been planted in the 1930’s, when this house was first built.