In response to enquiries about the former Dill Macky Home in Albert Road Strathfield. This is one of the many previous occupants of the current Catholic Institute of Sydney. The Catholic Institute of Sydney is located at 95-103 Albert Road Strathfield.
The NSW Society for the Blind, the Industrial Home for Blind Women and Retreat for Aged Female Blind was opened in 1891. The architect was Harry Chambers Kent, a prominent Sydney architect. Kent also designed ‘Mount Royal’ (now Australian Catholic University, Albert Rd Strathfield) and ‘Woodstock’ (88 Redmyre Road Strathfield).
The home was closed following the findings of a Royal Commission in 1897-8. The building was next occupied by the Bedford Collegiate School for Girls. The building was extended in 1911.
The Dil Macky Home for Protestant Orphans was opened in 1922. In 1951, the house ‘Ukalunda’ was acquired by Trustees Australian Protestant Orphans Society and was added to this site.
During World War II, the building was occupied by the Australian Army and used as a barrack for women. The building later became the Australia Post Training Centre and in the 1990’s, the building was acquired by the Catholic Diocese of Sydney. The Veech Library were built in 1993, the architect was Scott Carver & Associates. The architect of the seminary extensions was Michael Fox & Associates.
Author: Cathy Jones 2013