William Arnott [1827-1901] founded Arnott’s Biscuits near Newcastle NSW. The Arnott’s Biscuit Factory and later Arnott’s headquarters were moved to Homebush NSW.
Arnott married Monica Sinclair, who died in 1865 and later Margaret Fleming who died in 1902. He had children by both his wives and descendants of both his families lived in Strathfield and most appear to be involved with the running of Arnott’s Biscuits. The following homes were occupied by members of the Arnott family and are still standing:
‘Arnottholme’ is located at 65-67 Albert Road Strathfield. This was the home of William Arnott and his wife Margaret. William died at this house in 1901 and Margaret died in 1902.
‘Brockby Lodge’ 123 Homebush Road Strathfield. Home of Harold Arnott (1888-1971), grandson of William Arnott. ‘Brockby Lodge’ was built in 1923.
Harold Arnott’s son, Terrence Harold Arnott, lived at 141 Homebush Road Strathfield.
‘Balnagowan’ 15-17 Wakeford Road Strathfield. Home of Walter Esmond Arnott [1879-1955], grandson of William Arnott. Walter, or Wally as he is often called, built ‘Balnagowan’ in 1915 and lived there until his death in 1955.
‘Wawona’ is located at 96 Albyn Road (Cnr Chalmers Road) Strathfield. It issometimes called ‘Arnott House’. This house was built in 1916 for Percy Arnott, a director of Arnott’s Biscuits and grandson of William Arnott. The house is a bungalow style and was designed by architect Herbert Dennis. Arnott (1889-1950) was also a formidable sportsman, a well-known golfer and a member of the Australian Cricket Team which toured the United States in 1913. He was a member of the Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron and the Prince Alfred Yacht Club. He was captain and president of Concord Golf Club.
‘Waratah’ is located at 37 Homebush Road Strathfield. This was the home of Janet Duman Arnott [1867-1948], daughter of William Arnott. Janet Arnott married broker James Simpson Perry. This house once shared at boundary with the ‘Arnottholme’ property in Albert Road.
‘Dagworth’ is located at 39 Homebush Road Strathfield was home of Margaret Fleming Arnott [1872-1953] from 1901-07. She married Dr George Mander Jones, grandson of retailer David Jones.
Colonel John Mclean Arnott [1869-1945] lived at ‘Birnam Wood’ Homebush Road Strathfield. He was the Managing Director of Arnott’s Biscuits. In 1895, he married Adeline Hardy, the daughter of John Hardy of Hardy Bros jewellers and owner of the home ‘Strathfield’. Arnott lived at the house ‘Strathfield’ for a short time after his marriage and then moved to ‘Ilemong’ 20 Carrington Avenue Strathfield. He then acquired ‘Hatherly’, which he renamed ‘Birnam Wood’. ‘Birnam Wood’ was demolished c.1927 and subdivided creating the street Birnam Grove.