By Cathy Jones ‘Viwa’ Burlington Road was known as the Doctor’s House. It was originally the home of Dr George Hurst and built c1883. The
By Cathy Jones In response to an enquiry regarding the Rossiter family and ‘Dene Place’. 73 and 75 Burlington Road was formerly occupied by a
By Cathy Jones This is in response to an enquiry about the history of the house ‘Tremans’ which once stood at 52 Albyn Road, which
By Cathy Jones The above photograph is of 77 Newton Road was taken in 1939. The house was built on an extension of the Josephson
By Cathy Jones 44 Llandilo Avenue was built in 1936 to a design by prominent architectural firm of Waterhouse and Lake. Though Waterhouse is primarily
By Cathy Jones This advertisement from Building Magazine (Vol. 67 no. 399 November 24 1940) features an image of 52 Llandilo Avenue Strathfield, a two
By Cathy Jones This history is in response to a request for information about the location of a house named ‘Royston’ in Strathfield. ‘Royston’ is
By Cathy Jones Click here for the longer article ‘Goongirwarrie’, a Federation house, 55-57 Abbotsford Road Homebush is located on Section 9 of the ‘Village
By Cathy Jones Wadham Preparatory School was a private, day, co-educational, preparatory school founded on Christian principles. The school was operated by Kathleen Wyndham from
By Cathy Jones Airey Park was first dedicated in 1920 as a public park and named in honour of Joseph Airey, an Alderman of Strathfield
By Cathy Jones ‘Eurona’ was built in 1912 at an estimated cost of £1230. This was one of the final houses designed by prolific architect
Campaigns to improve public health in the 1920s involved campaigns to eradicate mosquitos.
By Cathy Jones Prior to the connection of sewerage services in Strathfield and Homebush, toilets were located in outhouses (a small shed containing a toilet)
By Cathy Jones The Strathfield Recreation Club in Morwick Street Strathfield was formerly known as the Union Recreation Club of Redmyre. The Club was formed in
By Cathy Jones James Wadley grew up in Strathfield and has written and illustrated a wonderful book called Drawn Free. The proceeds of the book
‘Orara’ Burlington Road Homebush
Whatever happened to the cottage in Strathfield Park?
By Cathy Jones Some photographs of Strathfield Park from 1974. The photo showing the road would appear to be Homebush Road. In the bottom photograph,
By Cathy Jones ‘Crosby’ 12 Wallis Avenue Strathfield is built on land created by the subdivision of the grounds of ‘Waitakerei’, the home of Clara
By Cathy Jones ‘Jesmond’ 15 The Causeway Strathfield South was built c.1920 as a brick interwar style cottage by local builders Goodwin and Wood of
By Cathy Jones ‘Cressy’ 13 Brunswick Street Strathfield and ‘Coleraine’ 15 Brunswick Street Strathfield were twin freestanding single storey weatherboard Federation Queen Anne style Houses.
By Cathy Jones In 1956, the Strathfield South Branch Library was built in the northern end of Edwards Park, at 64 High Street Strathfield South.
History of the Strathfield Golf Course, Strathfield’s oldest sporting and recreational club
The former Rochester Street Library at Homebush was built in 1976 and demolished in 2003. The current library opened in 2004.
By Cathy Jones The Strathfield Presbyterian Church was built c.1921 at 90 Homebush Road Strathfield. The above photograph is dated c.1930. Building approval was granted
By Cathy Jones Parks, gardens and landscapes contain evidence of the layers of human activity, occupation and use over time. The design and character of
A photograph of The Boulevarde Strathfield, when it was still safe to stand in the middle of the road. Date of the photograph is not
A photo of the shops on Churchill Avenue in Strathfield Town Centre in the early 1970s. Rainbow Cakes and the Strathfield Private Hotel are still
By Cathy Jones Further to a previous article on Children’s Homes and Orphanages in Strathfield. The building occupied by the Catholic Institute of Sydney, 99
By Cathy Jones The Chain of Ponds Reserve is one of the Cooks River foreshore parks in Strathfield located opposite the Cave Road shops.
By Cathy Jones The Arnotts Biscuit Factory operated at Homebush from 1908 to 1997, when it was relocated to Huntingwood. When the Arnotts family purchased
The Strathfield War Memorial commemorating the war service of residents of Strathfield during World War War 1 was opened by the His Excellency the Governor, Admiral
The above photo of Burlington Road Service Station was taken in 2004. This service station offered driveway service and auto repairs. This site is no
The following homes were used as Children’s Homes and Orphanages in Strathfield. Adelaide Walker Children’s Home, 54 Llandilo Avenue Strathfield Adelaide Walker Home was opened
by Cathy Jones Coronation Playground was located on Underwood Road at Homebush. The Park site was acquired for the development of the F4 (now M4/Westconnex)
By Cathy Jones The Sydney Stock and Cattle Yards were located at Flemington on Parramatta Road. This is now the site of Sydney Markets. A
This photograph shows Strathfield Council Mayor Rod Rimes, Council Engineer’s Alan Wilson and Warwick Grey, Strathfield Council Keith Manwaring at the opening of Centenary Drive
by Cathy Jones The postal service in NSW was established in 1810 under Governor Macquarie and in 1825, the NSW Legislative Council regulated postal services
A rare photograph of ‘Glen Luna’, 2-4 Carrington Ave Strathfield featuring the grand entrance and staircase that faced The Boulevarde on the corner of Carrington
‘Treagre’ was located at 3 Albyn Road Strathfield and was built in 1899 and demolished in 1997. ‘Treagre’ was designed by architect George Sydney Jones.
Photo of a car yard on Parramatta Road Homebush c.1962. This is located near Telepoa Avenue Homebush West.
by Cathy Jones ‘Koorianda’ was the home of former Mayor George Davey. The house is located at 5-7 Broughton Road Homebush and was built in
By Cathy Jones The corner shop and residence on the corner of Henley Road and Exeter Road Homebush West was built in 1922 for Joseph
‘Wawona’ is located at 96 Albyn Road Strathfield. This house was built in 1916 for Percy Arnott, a director of Arnott’s Biscuits. The house is
History of 81 Homebush Road Strathfield
‘Milroy’, Albert Road Strathfield, was built c.1882 for tobacco merchant George Todman and demolished in the 1930s after Todman’s death. ‘Milroy’ was one of Sydney’s
Corner shops in the Strathfield Council area are rare, unlike other areas in Inner West Sydney. In April 1920 Strathfield Council adopted a residential proclamation
The illustration of The Boulevarde, Strathfield is from the June 1884 edition of Australian Town and Country Journal, which featured illustrations of Strathfield, then known
In the 1910s and early 1920s, a number of large mansions with extensive gardens were built on the southern side of Victoria Street Strathfield including
by Cathy Jones ‘Verani’ 24 Homebush Road Strathfield is only one of three terrace style houses in Strathfield, which is very rare for Strathfield. This heritage